Thursday, March 1, 2012

And a Big, Fat Cherry on Top

After what has been a couple of rough weeks, today was one of those glorious days where just about everything seemed to go smoothly. 


For our morning snack, we made what we decided to call Shamrock Bread. I had seen a lot of rainbow bread on Pinterest and wanted to do it but kept reading that the milk and food coloring taste wasn't a favorite of kids. 


I decided to make ours a little sweet by using all natural coffee creamer (milk, cream and sugar are the only ingredients) vs milk and, of course, tied it into St. Patrick's Day. 
(Mix food coloring with creamer and paint on the bread before toasting.)
 We lightly toasted it and then tasted it. 
The kids loved it! 
We finished snack and then got dressed to go to music class. 


After putting Sissy in the car, I went back inside to get Hunter to which he greeted me with arms in the air and a triumphant, "I did it! I put my shoes on myself!" 
 All I could do was smile since this is something we've been working on for some time. He was so proud of himself that there was no way I was even going to mention that they were on the wrong feet. Plus, they looked so darn cute. 
 After music class we headed to our favorite bakery which Hunter long ago coined "Cookie Rick's" since the owner's name is Rick. 
Rick always has a grin from ear to ear when we arrive. I think he appreciates the attention from his small groupie.
Two juices, nine M&M's, one coffee cake, three meltdowns and two cookies later, we hit the road.
We began an adventure of searching for big trucks and "baby trucks" but, the day was simply too gorgeous not to feel the wind and hear the calm waves of our beach. 
While Sissy and I walked by the water, Hunter was busy writing in the sand and soon proudly proclaimed that he had written his name. 
 We took walks along the shoreline and collected beautiful rocks that we plan to paint later this week. 
After arriving home we played with toys and then made our first cherry pie. (Item on the Bucket List--Check.)
 It's not perfect but, it's all ours and that makes me happy. 
Like a good bunch of cherries.....

"Pick the day. Enjoy it - to the hilt. The day as it comes. People as they come... 
The past, I think, has helped me appreciate the present - and I don't want to spoil any of it by fretting about the future."
-Audrey Hepburn

Super Easy Cherry Pie:
2 frozen pie crusts (brought to room temp)
2 cans of cherry pie filling
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp milk


Unroll one pie crust and spread into greased pie plate and pinch around the edges
Pour 2 cans of cherry pie filling into the crust and spread evenly
Use the second pie crust to lay on top (you can cut out fun shapes with cookie cutters) or attempt a lattice pattern like we did. (Google good instructions as ours is not the best guide!)
Stir together the milk and sugar and brush on top of the crust
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. 20 minutes into the baking, cover the pie crust edges with aluminum foil so they don't over brown. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. I love, love the picture of Hunter's shoes proudly displayed......and backwards. Isn't it just wonderful how little children are so NOT affected by inhibitions? He will love this picture down the road, and with lots of laughs I might add.
    Green bread. How completely novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post and love days like that! I never mention shoes switched around either. :)

    Thanks for linking up to Kid's Co-op!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you had an awesome day. Your kids are just adorable! I love the way you painted the bread. I'm going to be featuring it on this weeks Kids Co-op post. Thanks for linking with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a completely wonderful day! I've featured you on my blog as one of my three favourite link ups to last week's Kids Co-Op. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful day!! Thank you for sharing it at Sharing Saturday! I hope you will share with us again this week!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments like I love eating chocolate donuts....