Monday, March 26, 2012

Dr. Seuss Play Date & Life Lessons

"Today is your day
Your mountain is waiting, so...get on your way!" 
Dr. Seuss

What do you think of when you hear the name Dr. Seuss?

For me, it immediately brings me back to my childhood, laying on my Gamma and Papa's shag green carpeted attic floor nestled under a loudly humming boxed air conditioner. My brother, Josh, and I would lay next to each other alternating reading our favorites, "Hop on Pop", "Green Eggs and Ham" or "Are You My Mother?" 

After Hunter was born Dave began a Dr. Seuss library for him and our future kids. I had almost forgotten the sweet memories of Fizza-ma-Wizza-ma-Dills and Yertles until I overheard him reading the silly words and rhyming phrases to our newborn baby. 

I believe that Hunter's love for books and words began with those early reading days of the strangely fascinating tales as only Mr. Geisel could write.

But, as an adult, I have learned that there is much more to those imaginative characters and signature use of trisyllabic meter---there are life lessons weaved throughout.

After recently discovering that Dr. Seuss' birthday took place in early March, we decided to celebrate in a special way. 

We invited our play group over for a Seussical Play Date to enjoy activities, snacks and play inspired by the Master Storyteller himself.

We did some pre-nap planning; such as, making blue Jell-O for the first time 
"Its better to know how to learn than to know." -Dr. Seuss
and colored rice for our I Spy Dr. Seuss bottle.
(Place dry rice in Ziploc freezer bag, a few squires of Purell and the food coloring
of your choice. Shake and mead well. Pour into a pan to dry out for about 30 minutes. I typed up the names of all of the Dr. Seuss books and characters we love in Word and printed onto heavy card stock. I then cut out the words and placed them in the bottle with the rice along with some fun glitter poms.)

We gathered our favorite Dr. Seuss books and cards to share with our friends and set everything up outside since Mother Nature decided to deliver yet another unseasonably warm afternoon. 
"The more that you read, the more things you know. 
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go!" - Dr. Seuss
Our red Ikea Parsons table provided the ideal spot for our I Spy Dr. Seuss bottle and our "Cat in the Hat" activity. 
(I found this fun idea here and here. I cut out all of the necessary pieces 
beforehand and put them in a large mixing bowl with glue sticks.)
Right after nap time our friends arrived. As we were walking outside I pointed out Alex and his Mommy walking down the driveway to which Hunter loudly proclaimed, "I looooove Alex!"
"Teeth are always in style!" -Dr. Seuss
Alex also brought his adorable younger brother, Austin, who constantly followed all of the big kids around and loved the taste of our I Spy bottle. 
"Oh the things you can find if you don't stay behind." -Dr. Seuss

Seeing baby Austin made me realize that Baby Emerson and Baby Lucy aren't really babies any more.

"A person's a person no matter how small." -Dr. Seuss


The activities kept the kids quietly busy at first. I loved watching Alex carefully concentrate as he gently glued on his colored construction paper pieces. 
"Step with care and great tact. 
And remember that life's a great balancing act." -Dr. Seuss

Instead of creating their own hats, my kids preferred riding their "new" Christmas toys that had been resting in the garage due to the colder temperatures. 
"You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes. 
You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss
I love days like this when we get the kids outside. They are these tiny little packages that are bustling with energy that just needs to be released outdoors. They always come back inside refreshed, relaxed and usually with smiles on their faces.
"It's opener, out there, in the wide, open air!" -Dr. Seuss

While searching online for Dr. Seuss-themed activities, I came across this idea from Renee at Adventures at Home with Mum and thought it was the COOLEST one I came across!

I knew there was only one kid in our group who could pull it off. 
"If you never did, you should. 
These things are fun, and fun is good!" -Dr. Seuss
After seeing Alex try it, Sissy wanted in on the fun. 
"You'll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut." -Dr. Seuss
After the photo ops, it was time for snack. 

"One fish, two fish, red fish blue fish" was the overall theme. I saw this fun idea from Sheryl here for rice cakes, blue-tinted cream cheese and goldfish crackers.
"From there to here, from here to there,
funny things are everywhere!" -Dr. Seuss
Alex and Austin had to leave early but Hunter made sure they left with their own to-go dish of Jell-O. Alex told his mom that he needed a spoon and it warmed my heart when, after hearing this, Hunter ran inside and got him a plastic spoon for the road without being prompted. 


Hunter then brought out another dish of Jell-O because he was eager to try it....as was Sissy. I asked him to share and this is what I got. 
Watching this for the next few minutes made my being a Mommy all worth it.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, 
nothing is going to get better, it's not." -Dr. Seuss

After fueling up on our green eggs, ham, fruit and other snacks
we capped off our exciting day with lots of silly playing that we knew the Dr. would approve of. 
"Think and wonder, wonder and think." -Dr. Seuss
"Sometimes the questions are complicated, 
but the answers are simple." -Dr. Seuss
"You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And you are the one who'll decide where to go." -Dr. Seuss
"Why fit in when you were born to stand out?!" -Dr. Seuss
"Today I will behave as if this is the day that I will be remembered." -Dr. Seuss

The kids ended the day exhausted and we agreed that it was a good time. 

I hope that my kids too will have great memories of a master storyteller and the legacy of life lessons that he left behind.
"Today was good, Today was fun.
Tomorrow is another one." -Dr. Seuss

C'mone, make today matter! 

3 comments:

  1. What an adorable post! I love all of the Dr. Suess quotes and it looks like everybody had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is fantastic! Love love love! Great photos, quotes, memories <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, excellent Ideas & thankyou for the mention & the link back to our cat in the hat photo.... Lots of fun!
    Renee from Adventuresathomewithmum.blogspot

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments like I love eating chocolate donuts....